Sunday, August 12, 2012

Shed in Swampville

  • Question:

Hi Charlie,
I have a question for you.  The ground my shed was built on turns into pseudo swampland when it rains.  It sits on six concrete cylinders, no foundation.  As a result, it is not only sinking, it's rotating.  It has slipped off two of the cylinders.  We put a car jack and a bucket of sand underneath it to hold it up.   My hubby violently thinks we should tear it down, but, I think there's hope.  What do you think?  Another jack? -Lori Zabrocki

_________________________
  • Charlie's Solution:
Hi Lori, Thanks for your question. I have a few questions of my own that I need to know in order to help. 

1. Is the soil the shed is sitting on lower than the surrounding soil?
2. What is the diameter of the six cylinders the shed is sitting on? And how deep are they? And a stupid question....where are the cylinders situated under the shed? In the corners?
3. How big is the shed and what do you store in it?
4. What is the shed made of? Wood framing and siding, aluminum? I need to know this so I know how heavy the loads are on the supports.
5. Could you take a photo of the shed and the area surrounding it and send it to me?
6. Having wet soil is an easy problem to fix when it comes to shed support. However, wet poor soil is another issue. Do you have any idea what type of soil you have under the shed? Clay, dirt, sand, silt? Have no idea?

The twisting of the shed could be due to an uneven weight distribution inside the shed which is causing an uneven displacement of the loads to the cylinder "supports".

With all of this information I should be able to help you, however, it will take some sweat equity. Give me the answers and I will try to give you the answer. I have initial thoughts on what is the best solution but until I know all the info I cannot be sure. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Charlie Frattini

-Charlie Frattini
TV Host/Master Builder of A&E's Sell This House Extreme

###

No comments:

Post a Comment